5 Tips for Starting a New Skincare Routine in the New Year
1. Know Your Skin Type: Knowing what your skin type is, is crucial for choosing the right products. Whether you have oily, dry, combination, or sensitive skin, tailor your skincare routine accordingly, to get the best results!
2. Cleansing: Start with a gentle cleanser to remove impurities and makeup. Cleansing your skin helps to unclog pores and get your skin ready for the next steps in your routine. Remember to try double cleansing if you wear makeup regularly.
3. Moisturize Daily: If cake is to frosting, then healthy skin is to hydration. Find a moisturizer suitable for your skin type like LA ROCHE POSAY to keep it hydrated and prevent further drying your skin. When you have oily skin, using a lightweight, non-comedogenic moisturizer is SERIOUSLY important. You don't want to further clog your pores.
4. Apply Sunscreen: Sunscreen is a non-negotiable step in your skincare routine. It's just really---non-negotiable. UV rays can cause premature aging and undeniably increase the risk of skin cancer. Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen (to cover all UV rays) with at least SPF 30 and apply it every morning, even on cloudy days (because the rays can penetrate through the clouds).
5. Introduce Products Gradually: If you're adding new products to your routine, introduce them slowly to monitor how your skin reacts. You don't want to add products on your face and start experiencing random bumps and not understand what is going on. This is especially important for serums, acids, or treatments. Patch testing on your arms/hands can help identify any potential irritants that your face may not like. Remember, staying consistent is key when it comes to skincare.
Establishing a routine and sticking to it for the long haul will yield better results over time. If you have specific skin concerns or conditions, consider consulting with a dermatologist for advice specific to what your skin needs.