10 Reasons Why You’re Aging Faster Than You Should BeFebruary 21, 2013
While there’s nothing wrong with getting older, we certainly can’t say we’re in any rush. But between long days at work and hectic hours at home, it’s no wonder why we’re aging faster than we should be. Here are the top ten reasons why you’re aging faster than you should and how you can prevent it:
- You’re not drinking enough water. Dehydrated skin tends to be flaky and less resilient, which often results in skin more prone to wrinkling. Drinking water, however, will help to soften and detoxify impurities from the skin. To find out exactly how much water you be drinking, divide your body weight (in pounds) in half and you’ll get your suggested daily water intake in ounces.
- Exercising isn’t part of your regular routine. None of us really want to hit the gym after working all day, but in order to stay looking, and feeling, young, regularly exercising is a must. Working out means increasing muscle mass and therefore promoting strength and mobility, a sure way to turn back the clock.
- Your skin is too dry. Just like drinking water, applying moisturizer, both at night and in the morning, promotes elasticity and firmness within the skin. To optimize the effectiveness of your moisturizer, be sure to apply it within 10 minutes of getting out of the shower. Using moisturizer while the skin is still moist not only allows for easier application but it helps a little product go a long way.
- You don’t apply sunscreen daily. Even though we wouldn’t want to admit it, we’re all guilty of sometimes skipping out on applying sunscreen when we’re in a rush. But the fact is, whether it’s unbearably hot or freezing cold outside, we should never forget to apply sunscreen. Prolonged sun exposure on unprotected skin can weaken the immune system and reduce the body’s ability to defend against infections.
- You aren’t eating healthy. As we age, we can’t be eating off the same diet we did in high school and college. Overtime, your body has difficulty adapting to an overload of sugar, alcohol, and processed or pre-packaged food. Not only can this cause weight gain but an unhealthy diet can make us feel sluggish and tired. Make the first step toward a healthier, younger feeling you and start eating a healthy, well-balanced breakfast daily.
- You’re a smoker. Second only to sun damage, smoking ages skin faster than anything else. Besides the obvious health risks associated with smoking, it can also cause premature wrinkles around the eyes, mouth, and even around the neck, décolleté, and inner arms. Though there are no ways to completely reverse the skin damage, with a healthy diet, skin supplements, and a great anti-aging skin care regimen, you’ll be able to slowly start getting back your youthful skin.
- You need more beauty sleep. As we get older, it seems more and more difficult to fall asleep quickly like we used to. Over time, this lack of satisfying sleep can cause crows feet, forehead wrinkles, and under eye wrinkles to appear. Before going to bed, be sure to avoid caffeine, alcohol, and take the extra time to wind down. Getting a good night’s sleep is the easiest way to look well-rested.
- You’re too stressed out. It’s no secret that when you’re stressed out you end up feeling and, even worse, looking worn down and tired. Studies have shown that chronic stress actually shortens telomeres located at the ends of chromosomes which, in layman’s terms, hastens aging by damaging critical DNA within our cells. While there’s nothing we can do to stop the stress in our lives, we can make the effort to stop, relax, and calm ourselves.
- Your neck and hands aren’t getting attention. People often say that the true way to gauge the age of a person is by looking at their hands and more often than not, this tends to hold true. Anytime we hear news and advice about our skin, we automatically think about our face. Rarely, do we apply these same rules to our neck and hands. Just like our face, our necks and hands need a skin care routine of their own. Attend to your neck and hands by making sure to moisturize and apply sunscreen daily.
- Renew. Replenish. Rejuvenate. With our hectic schedules and busy lives, our skin isn’t always our top priority. Take the time to make sure you are renewing, replenishing and rejuvenating your skin care routine. Dated skin care products are often the cause of random pimples and rashes that can sometimes pop up on your skin. Be sure to replace your products every 3-12 months, depending on your products, to prevent unwanted breakouts and blemishes.
Love this blog article? Share it with your friends and family.
- The Best Skincare Devices to Keep Your Skin Dazzling
- (Face) Mask Off! How to Choose the Perfect Mask for your Complexion
- Winter Is Here - Don’t Let It Slay Your Skin! Follow these Winter Skincare Tips
- Winter Skincare Tips: Keep Your Glow from Head to Toe
- Leftover Pumpkin? Dont Throw it Away! 10 Easy Homemade Beauty Treatments Using Leftover Pumpkin