Summer DOs and DON’TsAugust 08, 2012
Summer’s in full swing. It’s a great season for being outdoors, swimming, and enjoying some free time with friends and family. However, summer weather can be harsh on your skin. There are some easy tips to keeping your skin radiant even during the harshest of summer days. Changing your skin care regime each season is a good idea, especially if you live in climates with vastly different seasons. Here are some summer dos and don’ts to keep yourself looking beautiful:
- Sun Protection. Every summer tip list will include this one, and for good reason! Protecting your skin from sun’s damaging rays is important, not only to prevent skin cancer, but also because too much sun exposure can cause wrinkles and other unsightly skin blemishes.
- DON’T spend hours tanning, especially if you are only relying on baby oil or other tanning oils and sprays. You can look sun kissed without the damage with the right self-tanners, bronzers, and other makeup.
- DO find a good SPF to wear daily, especially on your face. There are plenty of excellent facial moisturizers and foundations that include SPF, making it super easy to keep your face fully protected from skin damaging rays. Anytime you are spending a long period of time outdoors, be sure to apply sunscreen to any exposed skin. Hats and long, loose clothing are also helpful in the defence against UV rays.
- Moisturize. The harsh weather of summer can wreak havoc on your skin. Even in humid climates, continuing to moisturize can be important.
- DON’T use the same moisturizer year round—unless you live in a place with a fixed climate. Change your moisturizer based on need. In most climates, there is no need for a heavy moisturizer in the summer. However, moisturizer is still a key factor in keeping your skin smooth and fresh, so look for something light.
- DO make sure you also moisturize from the inside out—be sure to drink lots of water and other liquids. Proper hydration is essential for keeping your body healthy and skin moisturized. As an added bonus, proper hydration will also keep you feeling great so you can enjoy the summertime activities!
- Makeup. Summer days are long and bright, and you should match it!
- DON’T cake on your makeup the same as you do other times of the year, including using the same tones and coloring year round.
- DO opt for a lighter makeup application. The lightest makeup touch can add some brilliance to your skin, and you don’t have to worry about it sweating off and clogging pores. Also, re-evaluate your makeup tones to make sure they match your summer coloring. It will also give you an excuse to try new colors!
- Exfoliate. Summertime can wreak havoc on the skin, especially the feet.
- Don’t let the harsh conditions of summertime lead to dry, flaky skin. Sandals and walking around barefoot can also lead to unattractive feet.
- Do exfoliate and moisturize your skin! If you have a sunburn, protect with aloe vera and a good moisturizer until it is healed. For non-sunburned, flaky skin, find a good body scrub and exfoliate, following up with your preferred moisturizer. For rough points, like your feet, exfoliate, using a pummus stone if needed, and moisturize before bed, covering with clean socks. It will help the moisturizer work overnight.
- Fashion. Fashion changes every season, which is a great excuse to infuse some changes to your personal style. Summer is a great time to incorporate color into your wardrobe.
- DON’T fear adding some splash into your wardrobe. You can add the colors of the season easily and inexpensively, opting for a few colourful accessories. For the more daring, try some color blocking.
- DO try something new, and if you don’t like it, fall’s dark colors are just around the corner.
Most importantly, DON’T let the downsides of summer prevent you from enjoying it to its fullest. Use these tips and DO enjoy your summer while allowing your inner radiance to shine as brightly as the sun!---
Love this blog article? Share it with your friends and family.